Pages

Friday, December 31, 2010

Yes.I`m Critique the band.So What?

I guess this would be my very first post on the negative side of the band.Too be precise,is about my beloved band which I grew up and learnt a lot about the realities.As a band member I had the chances to travel to other places to do performances.I had followed the band to Italy in 2007,when I was a Form 5 student.Many people will think that it`s really good to be a band member,but they never know what was actually happening in the band.It`s no doubt that being a band members brought me lots of sweet memories and gave us experiences that other ordinary students wouldn`t have. But it`s also a place where I LOST all my CONFIDENCE and become self-abased.And this had affected my life after I left the band.Until today,I`m still working hard to re-build my self-confident.


1.Physical Appearance

Well,I learnt about how important for a person to have a good-looking appearance during my time in band.Those days,most of the committees members were male and,I`m sorry to say that,they are really ITCHY.They gave priority for the pretty new members to use instruments and go for performances/competitions.For those members who are not that pretty/ordinary looking they would have less chances to be selected to go for performances and competitions.Please note that these chances are really important for new members or they will be slowly eliminated.Since those ITCHY committee members chose the performing members based on the physical appearance basis (well,these new members were also capable,just they win because of their appearance), some other potential members but not pretty enough had lost their chances just like that.Yes.Just like that.I was the lucky one.I was a trumpeter.Since a marching show band needs more trumpeters they selected as one of the performing members.But I was teased by some of the members and I cried almost everyday.I became a negative thinking person until all of my best friends left me!When I was in the worst situation I dare not to look at others,especially the guys because I scare the guys will tease me.

2.The money-loving/sucking teacher a.k.a the manager

I have to admit that the teacher is a very capable one.Without the teacher the band would never achieve such great succeeds! Without her I would never have a chance to travel to Italy,where a place that everybody dream of it.But she is realistic to the max ; She favors those members with rich parents.She was actually knew my mom but she didn`t knew that I`m my mom`s daughter until she saw my mom.Before that she didn`t really care about my existence,didn`t even look at me.But after she knew that I`m my mom`s daughter then only her attitude became better. If a member`s parents could donate money to the band then the member would have a greater chance to get a high post during committee election.


3.Rude members

You know,most of the rich kids are rude and kurang ajar.I understand that it`s wrong to conclude the rich kids in this sentence but then this is what I experienced in the band.Most of the rich kids are rude;and most of the band members are rich kids.There`s only a few members are from a family background like me.They teased other band are poor,they teased other members` parents,they teased everything that could be teased.I was once their victim.I didn`t understand why they could be like that and I finally found out WHY is it during a trip with them to a competition after I left my high school.Let me tell you my found-outs.Their parents are also behave like that.When I`m typing this I could still remember the scenes,vividly.When other band doing their performance one of their members left one of his/her shoe at the middle of  the field.It`s  embarrassing and yet the parent were laughing till the end!OMG how rude is she!No wonder her son always tease others!Did`t she know that this is an accidents which might be happen in all the bands?!The rudeness of these rich kids were not only limited in this but also their hygiene.I was once a uniform officer and I always received some smelly and dirty uniform from them.It was a miracle that I never complaint when I was doing my job.This would be my very first time to complaint about this.


4.Backstabbing other bands.

This is what the extreme thinking seniors and the teachers always do,especially when the competition is getting near.I never agree about this.Music is something to unite the people but not to cause any quarrels or unpleasant things to happen.The rude kids always log on to the forum and talk something bad about the other band until our band reputation corrupted.What is the points to do such ignorant thing in the forum?Every band have their strengths and weakness,accept it and learn lessons from them instead of quarreling in the forum!FYI this is also a brain washing tactic for the teachers to ensure the loyalty of members to the band.However,I`m pleased to see that the relationship among the bands is improved nowadays.

These are the major things that I want to critique about.Although I been bully by them but I still got the chance to participate the band until I finished my high school.My 2 sisters were not as lucky like me.They left the band shortly after they joined the band.I just heard about my youngest sister`s experience few days ago and I was really pissed off.She felt like she doesn`t have a chance to be selected as a performing member in her current section so she requested to change to other section(musical instrument).Her section leader rejected her request and abandoned her.The section leader never ask her to go practice and band camp after my sister requested to change to other section.One day,my sister went to the practice after she asked about the practice time from her friend.She missed a lot of marching foundementals so one of her seniors ask her the reason of the absentees.She told the senior in an indirect way.The section leader said to my sister "I thought you are no longer in my section?" .I was like "WHAT THE HELL?" Now who was the one rejected my sister` s request and abandoned my sister and you end up telling such thing to the senior?? I myself felt very hurt when I heard about this,how about my sister?

During my time,it`s not encouraged to change section.Yes,I knew about that.But I never knew that a section leader have the right to stop his members from change section and then abandon the member.The section leaders would normally allow the member to change section.It`s the member`s right to seek for a better chance, right?This does not mean that particular member is not loyal to the band.Sigh.Some bad tradition inherited from the 2005/06 batch committee. I`m doubting if this is a conspiracy among those committee members to kick off the undesired member.This is really too much!My sister will no longer join the band since my mother and my another sister disallowed her to do so.My mom even said "If me and your papa stick a RM1000 note on our fore head and go for the parents meeting the teacher will surely let her take part in the state competition." How ironic,huh =)

I feel sorry for my sister would never have a chance to join the band and learn what I learnt before.

No comments: