Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Why Malaysian Studies?!

Well I`m not blaming.I just don`t understand how the MQA board designed the course content for Malaysian Studies.MQA is a department which monitors the quality of private universities in Malaysia,in order to satisfied them most of us are FORCED to study those LAME subjects.Our MQA units are Moral Studies and Malaysian Studies.If we didn`t do well in our SPM exam we are required to take Bahasa Kebangsaan (which is so called Malay Language)as well.

I need to complete my Moral Studies and Malaysian Studies before I graduate.OK I accept this facts and was decided to show some enthusiasm in learning these subjects but I found that I just can`t!It`s because the course content is so BORING and LAME! For me Moral Studies still OK since we focus on the philosophies.It`s better as compared with our secondary school`s Moral.I can remember those days while we all were suffering as we have to memorize all the Moral Values!However,my life (or most of us) was also not easy since I have to deal with the philosophies and all the major world religions!But luckily I passed my Moral exam so I can ignore this subject FOREVER!

And now I come to my 1st year 2nd semester.Inthis term we have to study Malaysian Studies together with the Pharmacy and Engineering students.I was actually quite interested in this subject because as I read the introduction of Malaysian Studies I saw this "Objective : To help students understand the political, social and economic development in Malaysia from pre-historic times until the present" .As I always remind myself to equip myself with current issues I thought this unit will be a interesting one.But sadly to tell that I`m actually very very disappointed to this subject.

The course content of Malaysian Studies is same like what we studied during our secondary school times.I have to emphasize that,our content in History textbook for secondary school is actually repeating.For example the chapter about pre historic times.The difference between Malaysian Studies and History during school times is----Malaysian Studies is taught in English while History is taught in Malay.Those chapters like Malaysian Union,Federation 1948,British colonies in Malaysia,Portuguese in Malacca,Malacca Kingdom...these are all the things which are too BORING for me since these are just repeating thing.Why can`t they design they design the course which focuses on current issues and developments?More recent issues please!Don`t just keep on remind us on how our country is formed and bla bla bla TT

Perhaps most of our students only know to get their knowledge from the subjects which got EXAM!Thus our officers has no way to improve this situation but to do so.Again I have to say I`m not blaming.I`m just telling the truth.We Malaysian children were brainwashed at our very young age--*golden advice from the adults* "Study=Exam & Good result = bright future" .So basically some of our young generation EAT BOOKS for growth and survive and then...hmm I don`t want to continue since this is a SENSITIVE ISSUE.

As a conclusion,

Don`t ask,just study.
Your life will be in trouble if you fail your Malaysian Studies.

Oh yeah.
and not to forgot to shout

"Malaysia Boleh!!!" for producing young generation who don`t care about current issues and what happened in our country.

To Ministry of Higher Eduction--you failed to encourage us to understand the political,social and economical developments!

No comments: